Friday, November 13, 2015

More Needle Weave

Needle weaving

I love this technique. It makes such unique items.  You make your own loom with core board and straight pins. It's a little time intensive, but not all that difficult. 


Monday, November 9, 2015

Before and After

Completed couch.

Started out painting it all in green with Annie Slone chalk paint. It took almost the whole quart ($37.50) and still didn't cover it. Bought a couple bottles of black from JoAnn's and repainted most of it. Painted the braid silver. Much better coverage. Cushions are pieced and quilted with light cotton

Going to redo my couch.

Bought a brand new couch this summer and put this old one on the front porch. After about two months, hubby said the new one made his back hurt and he wanted the old one back. Well, we switched them around, but two months on the front porch didn't do it any good, and it was way over 10 years old to start with. Decided to paint and recover it. Going to piece and quilt the covers with Coke fabric and paint the rest with chalk paint.

Hutch Complete!

Monday, June 29, 2015

Going to paint a dresser.

Actually I'm going to redo the whole room, but I'm starting with the dresser. 
It's 30+ years old and needs a facelift.  First thing I did was take out all the drawers and removed the hardware,  it took about an hour as many of the screws were striped and it took some work getting them out.
   Then I cleaned every thing inside and out with soap and water.
Filled in a few holes with wood filler. Then painted the whole thing with primer.
As I was waiting for the primer to dry I covered the outside of the drawers with decoupage and scrapbook paper.

Started with the drawers. The walls and carpet were already pink.
Finished all the drawers this week. I changed out all the hardware except for the center drawer I painted them silver. 

One set of drawers I wanted to use knobs instead of the pull so I used wood filler to fill in the outside holes. I got all my knobs from Hobby Lobby. They have an amazing selection. 
I wasn't actually very happy with the two below. The center design didn't give me a lot of choices and I almost started over. 

The two little side drawers were actually the two I painted first.

Here is a photo of a drawer in progress. I used a stencil to place the squares, but as I didn't want gaps I painted them freehand. I also use a stencil to draw the outlines of the basic design, but added parts of it and then painted it free hand, too.

The off white is chalk paint. The pinks and green are bottled acrylic. I used a combination of acrylic and a black paint pen for the checks and outlines. Filled the decorative cut out area with silver bead strings I found in the wedding floral department at Hobby Lobby.  I'm going to paint the main part of the dresser next, but as I go back to work (school) next week don't know when I'll get to it. 

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Valentine's Day

Adding a new iris fold pattern that I made.

#valentine #card #iris fold #iris folded card # valentine card #lucine's

Sunday, November 30, 2014

"Gum Wrapper" purse

I Can't believe I didn't post this sooner. I made it well over a year ago (still looks as good as new). I made the bag out of soda bottle wrappers. Most of them are Dr. Pepper, but a few are Mt. Dew. I used a gum wrapper for a template and folded them in the old gum wrapper chain fold, then sewed them together. Lined it with coke fabric and hand sewed in a zipper. Use it everyday. Holding up really well. I am working on a bigger one as well as one made from faces out of the TV guide. I'll post them later.
#gum wrapper bag #soda wrappers #up cycle #recycle

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Christmas Quilt

Having finished my Halloween Quilt I am now working on a Christmas Quilt. 
With all the school work I'm doing I don't know when I'll have time to finish a block, but I'm keeping it by my chair. Here is what I have so far.

All of the background pieces are machine quilted before I begin my appliqué. Most of the appliqué is hand done but a few pieces have machine work on them. It just depends on how I feel at the time. Hand work can be done setting with my family, while machine work is in a back room all alone. Depends... 

Here are a few more blocks that haven't been added to the quilt yet.

Here are the two I'm working on now. The Santa is almost finished. He is all hand work. The tree I just started. It was machine appliqué, but I'm going to decorate it by hand.

Thursday, November 13, 2014

More friendship bracelets

😄. I've made a lot more friendship bracelets. I'm going to make enough for my 60 4th graders to all pick one out at Christmas time.  
I have also been braiding some with a round paper loom that is really easy to make and use. I'll post that when I have time but a really good video on making them with the round paper loom is already on Utube. 
The next two below was made with the paper loom. It's super easy. I'm going to teach my 4th graders how to do it at the end of the year.
This one is a simple Loopdedoo. I didn't use a button on this one.
This loop de doo bracelet was made from a strip of scrap fabric. The boys loved it.
The one below is also for the boys. A simple camo without a button.

Made about 50 more bracelets in the last 2 days. Got away from the looms a little bit and did some knotting  #Friendship #bracelets

These below were all made with the loop de doo